Everyone should know about the risks and dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Roughly 170 people die every year from CO produced by nonautomotive consumer products. The last thing we’d want is for the next CO-related horror story to come from our home. As such, let’s take a look at these tips on how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, right from the CDC!
Keep Up with Your Yearly HVAC Maintenance
You should be sure to have your furnace inspected by a professional at least once per year. If any issues are beginning to surface, we can take care of them as part of your routine maintenance. The up-front cost of this is undoubtedly worth it compared to the risk of carbon monoxide entering your home. Since air conditioning units don’t burn fuel, you won’t have to worry about CO scares there. As such, it makes sense to schedule your furnace maintenance at the end of the fall, right before you’ll be relying on it heavily for months to come.
Purchase a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector yet? Surprisingly, 70% of U.S. homes are not protected by a working CO alarm, which is one of the easiest ways to detect dangerous levels of CO before it’s too late. Once installed, be sure to check and replace the batteries each time you change your clocks in the spring and fall.
Know the Signs
Once your detector is installed, what should you do if it rings? First, leave your home right away. High concentrations of CO can be deadly in as little as five minutes, so you want to be quick. From there, you should dial 911 and seek medical attention if you are beginning to feel dizzy or nauseous.
Run Your Car in the Garage
Even if your garage door is open, you shouldn’t leave your car running for extended periods if your garage is attached to your house. Once the air circulates, there is a chance that CO will enter your home.
Fall Behind on Fireplace Maintenance
If you fall behind on fireplace maintenance, creosote blockages may develop as a result. If your chimney is sealed up enough, carbon monoxide will have no place to escape, except for your home. You should have your chimney cleaned yearly if you use it heavily!
Keep Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Will Air
Will Air is proud to be a customer-centered residential and light commercial heating and cooling company serving the greater Central Maryland area. With over 30 years of experience, we are dedicated to offering the highest quality services at competitive rates. From preventative maintenance to residential HVAC repair, we are here to help you however we can. To get in touch, call us today at (410) 549-9300 or request an estimate.